The new Global Green Grids Initiative One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG) is an evolution of the International Solar Alliance’s One Sun One World One Grid (OSOWOG) multilateral drive to foster interconnected solar energy infrastructure at a global scale.
Green Grids Initiative – One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG) initiative (The Purpose)
1. Multilateral drive to foster interconnected solar energy infrastructure at a global scale.
2. To speed up the process to decarbonize energy production.
3. To transport solar power to different countries by creating a three phase 2600 GW of interconnection by connecting Asia, Africa and the rest of the world by 2050.
4. To create an international network of global interconnected solar power grids, to ensure 24×7 supply of green power.
5. This initiative will bring together an international coalition of national governments, financial organizations, and power system operators.
6. To operate by building and scaling inter-regional energy grids, leveraging the difference of time zones, seasons, resources, and prices between the country and region.
7. To help in increasing investment in Research and development centers.
1. October 18: In the first assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA), Prime Minister Narendra Modi floated the idea of the OSOWOG initiative.
2. The UK and India decided to merge the UK’s Green Grids Initiative (GGI) and ISA’s OSOWOG into GGI-OSOWOG as part of the UK-India Virtual Summit.
3. May 21: India and the UK had agreed to combine the Green Grids Initiative and the One Sun One World One Grid and jointly launch GGI-OSOWOG at the COP26 Climate Summit in Glasgow in November 2021.
4. November 2, 2021: Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Green Grids Initiative – One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG) initiative jointly with his UK counterpart Boris Johnson at the event ‘Accelerating Clean Technology Innovation and Deployment’ at COP26 Climate Summit at Glasgow.
The new Global Green Grids Initiative aims to tap solar energy and have it travel seamlessly across borders. The initiative will work towards accelerating the making of large solar power stations and wind farms in the best locations, linked together by continental-scale grids crossing national borders.