Ethics is a system of moral principles. They affect how people make decisions and lead their lives. Ethics is concerned with what is good for individuals and society.
Adherence to ethics in human actions would ensure the smooth functioning of an organization/system
1. Enhances the law by outlining acceptable behaviors beyond government control.
2. Promote integrity among their employees and gain trust from key stakeholders, such as investors and consumers.
3. Business ethics is an essential skill because technology and digital communication have made it easier to identify and publicize ethical missteps.
What does ethics seek to promote in human life?
- Ethics covers the following dilemmas:
- how to live a good life
- our rights and responsibilities
- the language of right and wrong
- moral decisions – what is good and bad?
- Ethics promotes virtuous, ethical quality in human life by making values and moral judgment a part of the decision making process.
- Ethics and values play an important role in enhancing human capital which in turn is crucial for any business and society. Ethics can give real and practical guidance to an individual.
- Ethics & values make an individual aware that their choices have consequences, both for themselves and others. Thus, ethics & values build credibility, Leadership skills, improves decision making, and provides long term gains.
- Ethics and values help in satisfying basic human needs. Being fair, honest and ethical is one the basic human needs.
- In Enhancing Social Harmony
- Ethics tackle the question of how to repair relations in society which have broken down after crimes, oppression, and political violence.
- Ethics is concerned with other people’s interests and with the interests of society.
How do ethical values assist in the resolution of conflicts faced by him in his day to day functioning? (Seven Principles of Ethical Conflict Resolution)
1. Lead with a moral compass: People that want to do the right thing, do what it takes, and have fun along the way, have an attitude that makes for a positive environment and a real difference.
2. Lead in ways that bring out the best in others.
3. Lead with positive intent and impact: (Attitude matters. When you lead with positive intent this can be received by others as helping.)
4. Stay competent: Since we are 98% emotional and 2% rational, focus on the problem.
5. Model what you expect: Be conscious of your triggers. When you feel anger starting to surge, apply de-escalation techniques. [Emotional Intelligence]
6. Work towards mutually beneficial solutions
7. Do good without harm: Do not do anything that will harm others directly or indirectly.