Read Judiciary Under Warren Hastings to understand this better.
- The District Diwani Adalat was now designated as the District, City or the Zila Court and placed under a district judge.
- The collector was now responsible only for the revenue administration with no magisterial functions– Separation of revenue from judicial powers.
- The District Faujdari Courts were abolished and, instead, circuit courts were established at Calcutta, Dacca, Murshidabad and Patna.
- These circuit courts had European judges and were to act as courts of appeal for both civil and criminal cases.
- The Sadar Diwani Adalat was shifted to Calcutta and was put under the governor-general and members of the Supreme Council assisted by the chief qazi and the chief mufti.