1. To show that nationalist patience was not due to weakness.
2. To express people’s feeling that they were not interested in the war.
3. To give another opportunity to the government to accept Congress’ demands peacefully.
The Demands of the Satyagrahi:
1. Freedom of speechagainst the war through an anti-war declaration.
2. If the government did not arrest the satyagrahi, he or she would not only repeat it but move into villages and start a march towards Delhi, thus precipitating a movement which came to be known as the ‘Delhi Chalo Movement’.